What is Light Pollution
Light pollution is any artificial light that goes where it's not supposed to. Fighting light pollution does not mean turning all the lights off. It's about being sensible about our lighting choices. A map of what light pollution looks like.
IMPACT ON ASTRONOMY
The night skies remind us of our place in this Universe. The Universe gives us identity, makes us feel a connection. It gives us perspective. Astronomy has inspired countless minds in our history. We've lost the potential for thousands of great minds; robbing children of finding their passion for Astronomy. Astronomy is a humbling and character building experience like Carl Sagan puts it. Being under a sky full of stars makes you feel tiny, humble, kind and caring. But, thanks to light pollution, most people lack this connection.
A TECH TALK ON LIGHT POLLUTION
A Tech Talk on light pollution, its effects on night skies, our health, wildlife and beyond and what we can do about it. Check it out if you are interested in learning more.
EFFECTS OF LIGHT POLLUTION
- 3 billion dollars wasted every year in improper, wasteful lighting
- Brightens night sky and creates skyglow
- Disrupts sleep patterns, our circadian rhythm and melatonin secretion
- Millions of birds die each year colliding into bright buildings and sea turtles struggle getting to the sea due to light pollution. So many other species and plants are affected
- High color temperature LEDs(5000 and above) have a lot of blue light in their spectrum. Blue light creates a lot of glare, impairs vision, brightens the sky more than any other color. People actually hate harsh blue lights